By: Kayla Bremer
Monday night's fire at the Bryan West Campus has been ruled arson according to fire investigators.
It was discovered in the women's bathroom on the basement level, next to the cafeteria just after 8 o'clock last night. Fire inspector Tony Chapp says someone stuck cloth in the ceiling tiles and set it on fire.
Thankfully, no one was hurt.
"Our maintenance guys were on top of it," Vice President of Support and Clinical Services, David Reese said. "They're the ones who came to the fire. They recognized the smoke alarms went off, they got to the area quickly."
The maintenance crew got to the bathroom and used a fire extinguisher before the fire department took over. Reese says other than a little bit of smoke, the rest of the hospital was not affected.
The hospital has quarterly fire drills and fire cards that employees carry to know what to do in case of an event like this. Reese says he couldn't be happier with how the staff handled Monday's fire.
"We're very pleased with the training that took over because our staff were right on. Our maintenance staff, all support staff, the nursing...they were right on it."
The hospital is fully equipped with a sprinkler system and smoke detectors. One of the most important features is the fire walls throughout the entire building. They can provide an extra two to four hour barrier from fire spreading.
"That's why hospitals are built the way they are built so that you have those fire walls built up so that it gives you time to put out the fire and also reassess what next steps need to be made."
Bryan Health officials say they are thankful the fire was contained as quickly as it was. They say this incident has helped them learn and prepare if something were to happen like this in the future.
Lincoln Police are still looking for the person responsible for setting the fire in the hospital.