Chickens escape garage fire - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

Chickens escape garage fire

Posted: Updated:

By: Cole Miller
cmiller@klkntv.com

A garage goes up in flames with some unlikely animals nearby...a pair of chickens. Those chickens made it out safely, but it's what was keeping them warm that caused the fire and a headache for the homeowner.
 
Firefighters rip into a garage near 28th and "S" just after noon on Tuesday. Debra Crowther lives nearby and says she could smell the smoke, but thought it was just someone burning leaves. She quickly found out it was much worse and called 9-1-1. 
 
"The fire was getting hotter and louder and popping more and more. You realize it's not leaves," Crowther said.

The flames were out quickly and firefighters say it all started because of a heat lamp. It was being used to keep a pair of chickens warm. It's something firefighters say they don't see too much off.

"Not very often at all, not a common thing," Lincoln Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Tim Linke said.

The homeowner says the chickens are fine and if you're wondering, you can have up to 3 of them inside the city. As for the garage, it's a total loss, as well as the car inside. Firefighters say they had to take a little extra caution when tearing into it because of asbestos. 
 
"That is a concern of ours. Older structures that have the asbestos siding and so we make sure that our folks are using respiratory protection when they're dealing with those," Linke said.

As crews packed up their things, Crowther says she'll continue to stay alert, keeping an eye out for her fellow neighbors.

"You know, you're here in the neighborhood where you know and trust people, you take care of each other, right?"

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • Denton church hosts egg hunt for Mission kids

    Denton church hosts egg hunt for Mission kids

    Denton church hosts egg hunt for Mission kids

    More than 20 Mission families participated in egg-cellent activies.More >>
    More than 20 Mission families participated in egg-cellent activies.More >>
  • Political ad sparks controversy

    Political ad sparks controversy

    By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comOMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ Nebraska Democrats are calling for a Republican candidate for governor to pull a televised campaign ad in which he knocks a Barack Obama doll off a fence post while criticizing the president's health care law. The ad, which began airing this week, shows Omaha state Sen. Beau McCoy standing next to the fence post with the bobblehead-like doll atop the fence post. McCoy says the health care law is ``the last thing we need,'' before slapping t...More >>
    By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comOMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ Nebraska Democrats are calling for a Republican candidate for governor to pull a televised campaign ad in which he knocks a Barack Obama doll off a fence post while criticizing the president's health care law. The ad, which began airing this week, shows Omaha state Sen. Beau McCoy standing next to the fence post with the bobblehead-like doll atop the fence post. McCoy says the health care law is ``the last thing we need,'' before slapping t...More >>
  • Arson causes $2,500 in damage

    Arson causes $2,500 in damage

    Arson causes $2,500 in damage

    Posted By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comLincoln fire investigators say an intentional blaze was lit just before 10 p.m. Friday. Inspector Ken Hilger says an individual poured an accelerant on the north side of ahome near 9th and South streets and lit it on fire. The homeowner was inside at the time but was able to get out safely. Lincoln Police officials say she was able to putthe fire out herself.Officials estimate the fire caused around $2,500 in damage, melting a section of vinyl siding o...More >>
    Posted By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comLincoln fire investigators say an intentional blaze was lit just before 10 p.m. Friday. Inspector Ken Hilger says an individual poured an accelerant on the north side of ahome near 9th and South streets and lit it on fire. The homeowner was inside at the time but was able to get out safely. Lincoln Police officials say she was able to putthe fire out herself.Officials estimate the fire caused around $2,500 in damage, melting a section of vinyl siding o...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.