One neighborhood in Lincoln is getting a million dollar face lift! On South 11th Street, from "A" to "J", the city has two projects going.
One is to help make the public land prettier, and the other, to give home owners a break on fixing up the outside of their houses.
At one time, 11th Street was full of some of the nicest mansions in Lincoln.
"Homes like this—the craftsmanship isn't really done anymore and if these homes deteriorate, if someone doesn't jump in and renovate them, they'll disappear off the landscape," Homeowner Greg Baker said.
And the city is trying to get this part of the Everett Neighborhood back to its prime. It started with a street beautification on South 11th Street from "A" to "J". They will add street lights, banners, benches, and landscape a lot of the public area.
They'll also make some of the dangerous intersections a little easier to get through with "bump outs" to slow traffic. It's all being funded by federal grants. But the city isn't stopping there.
"Just to help improve not only the city piece from property line to property line, but also to make those funds available for resident property owners as well," Urban Development official Wynn Hjermstad said.
They are also offering zero interest loans to homeowners to improve the exterior of their houses. Once 75 percent of the loan is repayed, the remaining 25 percent will be forgiven.
Some homeowners who have already taken part in the program say it's worth it.
"It's a lot of work. It's constant. But as long as you know that going in, it's a lot of fun. It's really fun to maintain something like this," Baker said.
When revitalization happens to a neighborhood, crime rates in the area tend to go down. Home values increase.
The total project is about 1.3 million dollars. A few loans for homes are already in the works, and construction for the project starts in the spring.
By: Bob Rook email@example.com When NET Radio listeners turn on their radio this week, a familiar voice will be missing. long time radio announcer and host William Stibor died unexpectedly Monday at thisMore >>
When NET Radio listeners turn on their radio this week, a familiar voice will be missing. long time radio announcer and host William Stibor died unexpectedly Monday at this home in Lincoln. His death has left a void for many on the air and off. More >>
Posted By: KLKN Newsroom firstname.lastname@example.org A late night scare for a convenience store clerk when she's robbed at knifepoint. The clerk was standing next to the front door when the suspect walked in wieldingMore >>
A late night scare for a convenience store clerk when she's robbed at knife point.More >>
Posted By: KLKN Newsroom email@example.com An alert neighbor has landed two burglary suspects in jail. Lincoln police say Christopher Schafer and Charles Hellbusch broke into Kendles Auto Salvage near 1stMore >>
An alert neighbor has landed two burglary suspects in jail.More >>
Posted By: KLKN Newsroom firstname.lastname@example.org The survivor of a car crash that killed 3 Fremont teenagers has been moved out of intensive care. Jake Burnside was critically injured in an accident earlier thisMore >>
Jake Burnside has been moved out of intensive care.More >>
Posted By: KLKN Newsroom email@example.com SEWARD, Neb. (AP) _ A 22-year-old passenger has been killed and another injured in a rollover crash west of Seward. The Seward County Sheriff's Office says theMore >>
The accident happened Sunday west of Seward.More >>
Posted By: KLKN Newsroom firstname.lastname@example.org Joshua Albright has been found not guilty in the stabbing death of Benjamin Miller. A jury deliberated for most of the day following closing arguments Monday morning.More >>
Joshua Albright found not guilty in the stabbing death of Benjamin Miller.More >>
By: Bill Schammert bschammert@Klkntv.com It's a week later than expected, but Lincoln now has an Entertainment District. The Lincoln City Council voted unanimously on Monday night to approve an areaMore >>
It's a week later than expected, but Lincoln now has an entertainment district.More >>
By: Channel 8 Newsroom email@example.com The Lincoln Police Department is investigating an early morning shooting in northwest Lincoln that's left one man dead. Around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday officials theyMore >>
The Lincoln Police Department is investigating an early morning shooting in northwest Lincoln that's left one man dead.More >>