By: Cole Miller
Firefighters battle enormous flames in northeast Lincoln Monday night. When the sun came up Tuesday, the damage was evident. Skyler Sailors lives across the street and recalls how bad it was.
"I heard a little explosion, figured something was up," Sailors said. "My mom was honking the horn, she just pulled in. I came outside and realized the garage was fire, it was pretty covered in flames."
It took nearly 80 firefighters from both Lincoln Fire and Rescue and Southeast Fire more than 3 hours to control the blaze. Firefighters say with the nearest fire hydrant a mile away, water was hard to come by.
City Fire Inspector Ken Hilger says ashes from the home's fireplace were put in the garage on Friday. However, they managed to rekindle.
"Ashes can be warm for up to 4 to 5 days after you discard them in a container," Hilger said.
Hilger says they were placed in a plastic container rather than a metal one.
"Once it went to open flame, it didn't take long to catch those other items on fire and then go from there."
That's when the fire spread to the rest of the house, causing more than $200,000 dollars worth of damage. The home is being ruled a total loss.
Lincoln recently annexed the subdivision and neighbors hope fire hydrants will soon be installed.
"Now that we're in the city, it would be a good idea to put fire hydrants out here because if there were fire hydrants, I think there would've been a lot less damage," Sailors said.
We spoke with a Battalion Chief earlier Tuesday who said the city is planning to install fire hydrants out here.