By: Megan Palera
It made headlines ten years ago Wednesday, a massive fire that destroyed Green's Furnace and Heating.
All that's left of that building is the land where it once sat. Green's has a new home, but the same staff and customers who helped them rise from the ashes.
Green's Furnace and Plumbing, a third-generation business, a Lincoln staple, swallowed up in flames. That was exactly ten years ago Wednesday. Owner Peggy Green is still emotional when talking about it a decade later.
"Ten years seems like a long time, but it was a lot of hard work. THere were a lot of things we had to do starting all over," she said.
Since the fire, Green's moved into their new home just up the road on 48th near Superior. It took nearly a year just to get new furniture. Green says it was her loyal customers and staff that made it possible. "It was because of many people who called up and said, 'how can I help?' Without the support of everybody, I don't think we would have had the energy. It's a lot of work to not have anything at all," she said.
The business is celebrating 92 years in the Lincoln community. "Many people do not recover from a total loss. It's very rare, so I was very fortunate," she said.
Officials determined the Green's fire was arson, but still ten years later there have been no arrests and it's still under investigation.