By: Dan Messineo
It's colorless, odorless and the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services said studies continue to show high levels of radon gas in many Nebraska homes.
The gas naturally occurs in the soil and can seep through cracks in you home's foundation. Your home then traps the gas.
Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health, Dr. Joan Schaefer said radon is deadly. "Because radon is radioactive it is very damaging to your lung tissue and it is the second leading cause of lung cancer in our state and in the nation," Schaefer said.
A map from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human services shows many counties in the state as having elevated levels of the dangerous gas. Officials say Dawson, Gage and Cedar counties show extremely high levels. However, officials warn even houses in counties with low radon averages can show high levels of the gas. "It is important to test your home for radon because it is colorless, it is odorless, it has been linked to lung cancer and it is easily fixable in you home," Schaefer said.
If you test your home and find you have a high level of radon, officials recommend sealing up cracks and openings in the foundation. Contractors can also install a system that can keep the gas from entering your home.
For more information on testing your home for radon you can go to the Nebraska Radon Program homepage by clicking on the link: nebraskaradon.com