Posted by: Sports
The No. 10 Huskers women's tennis team (15-1, 4-0 Big Ten) put together a close 4-3 victory over the No. 7 Northwestern Wildcats (8-5, 2-1 Big Ten) Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center. This marks the fifth time the Huskers and Wildcats have ever met and Northwestern leads the series 3-2. The Huskers narrowly grabbed the doubles point with some suspenseful victories before edging out the Wildcats in singles play to seal the victory.
The Huskers went quickly into the hole in doubles when Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska got swept by Northwestern's Belinda Niu and Kate Turvy 0-8 at the No. 3 position. Nebraska brought it back at the No. 2 spot where Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich defeated the Wildcats' Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett 8-5. With doubles split, the Huskers snatched the point at the No. 1 position where No. 13 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova narrowly knocked off Northwestern's No. 8 Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton.
The Huskers in singles play extended their hold to 2-0 with No. 16 Mary Weatherholt toppling Northwestern's No. 55 Kate Turvy 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 1 position. Northwestern regained ground at the No. 3 spot when Veronica Corning ousted Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein 3-6, 6-1, 6-0 to make the score 2-1.
The Huskers extended the lead again to 3-1 with a victory at the No. 5 position with Janine Weinreich edging out the Wildcats' Alicia Barnett 6-1, 7-6 (10-8). Northwestern cut the margin back down to 3-2 with Linda Abu Mushrefova narrowly defeating the Huskers' Izabella Zgierska 7-5, 7-5.
Northwestern tied the match at 3-3 with a victory by No. 96 Belinda Niu over Nebraska's Patricia Veresova 7-5, 7-6 (7-2) at the No. 2 position. The final and deciding match was the No. 4 position which resulted in a victory for Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke over Northwestern's Brittany Wowchuk 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
Nebraska heads to sunny San Diego, Calif. for a couple of matches. In San Diego, the Huskers will battle San Diego on Sunday, March 17 at noon and then face off against Oklahoma State on Thursday, March 21 at 5 p.m. Nebraska will then continue on the road to State College, Pa. to play Penn State on Sunday, March 31 at 11 a.m.
No. 10 Nebraska - 4
No. 7 Northwestern - 3
1. No. 16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 55 Kate Turvy (NW) 6-2, 6-0.
2. No. 96 Belinda Niu (NW) def. Patricia Veresova (NU) 7-5, 7-6, (7-2).
3. Veronica Corning (NW) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-0.
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Brittany Wowchuk (NW) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Alicia Barnett (NW) 6-1, 7-6 (10-8).
6. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NW) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 7-5, 7-5.
Order of finish (1, 3, 5, 6, 2, 4)
1. No. 13 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. No. 8 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamiliton (NW) 8-6.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NW) 8-5.
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NW) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-0.
Order of finish (3, 2, 1)