Update: Streets reopened after crews respond to gas leak - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

Update: Streets reopened after crews respond to gas leak

Posted: Updated:

By: Kayla Bremer

A busy Lincoln street was shut down after a gas leak Friday morning.

Fire officials say it was caused by a construction crew who clipped a gas line while digging in front of a house on 13th Street.

Residents watched as fire crews took gas readings after the minor leak around 11 a.m.  Most who live in the area were told to stay in their homes, but one woman who's house was next to the leak was told to evacuate.

"I looked out the window and there were several fire trucks that kept coming and men standing around," Pamela Hough said.  "You could smell the gas.  I could smell it in my house."

Fire officials say they set up a perimeter and shut down 13th street from Plum to Rose.  It was closed as they took measurements of gas in the air.

"It wasn't real strong but it was just an odd smell coming in and you knew something wasn't right," Hough added.

The leak was caused after a construction crew digging in the area accidentally hit a gas line.

Acting Battalion Chief Dennis Clark says they weren't getting any significant readings and there was no threat to the public.

"Small readings, close to the hole," Clark said.

Black Hills Energy was called to repair the leak and 13th street was able to be reopened shortly after.

Fire officials say gas leaks seem to be frequent, but it's just part of the construction process.

"When companies have to dig into the soil and run lines, there's always that chance that they can strike something that's underground," Clark said.  "They do their best to get those lines identified and stay away from them."

13th Street was shut down for about an hour.  It was reopened just after noon.

Posted By:  KLKN Newsroom

Lincoln Fire & Rescue and Lincoln Police reopened 13th Street and nearby neighborhoods streets after a natural gas leak that happened just before 11 a.m.

Officials say it was caused by a construction crew digging in the area.  A main gas line was hit, but fire officials say the gas readings were significantly low.  Black Hills worked to repair the line.

Some residents in the area were evacuated while firefighters worked the scene but were allowed to return to their homes about an hour later.

Traffic on 13th Street was shut down for nearly an hour.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.