UPDATE: Man arrested in June shooting of 17-year-old girl - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

UPDATE: Man arrested in June shooting of 17-year-old girl

Posted: Updated:

Posted By:  Kayla Bremer

An arrest is made in a shooting that left a Lincoln teen paralyzed.

Police say 18-year-old Sabri Ibrahim has been charged with 2nd Degree Assault.  He was arrested Friday, almost a month after the shooting took place.

On a normal Wednesday afternoon back on June 19th, 17–year–old Treneyce Thompson's life changed forever.

She was shot in the back while riding in a car with two others near 27th and Fair Streets.  The bullet punctured her lung and lodged into her tenth vertebrae.

Police arrested 18–year–old Sabri Ibrahim.  He's the man police say is responsible for pulling the trigger.  Officials say he refused to give a statement about what happened so they don't know whether it was an accident or not.

"She was rushed to the hospital while the male fled the scene," Officer Katie Flood said.

In an earlier interview off camera, the victim's grandmother Sherry Watson says the whole thing was a big accident.

Watson says Treneyce told her they were driving when they heard a loud noise.  Moments later with her ears ringing, she heard Ibrahim, who was sitting behind her in the backseat say, "I shot you."

Watson says Ibrahim apologized to Treneyce then ran away because he was scared.

"He was contacted on Friday, July 12th and arrested for 2nd Degree Assault and Use of a Weapon to Commit a Felony," Officer Flood said.

Treneyce is undergoing treatment for paralysis at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital.  Doctors left the bullet in her spine because they say taking it out would be too risky and could create further damage.

Ibrahim is due back in court for a docket call on August 5th.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.