Lincoln firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire Friday morning at 1522 D St. The fire was called in by a neighbor at around 10:30. Lincoln Fire Investigator Ken Hilger says candles left unattended are to blame. Damage is estimated at $30,000.
Fire officials say the fire was contained to one unit in the group of ground-level apartments. No one was at home at the time of the fire. However, firefighters rescued three cats from the blaze. The cats were taken to a shelter and are expected to be okay.