Update on the stomach bug "Cyclospora" - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

Update on the stomach bug "Cyclospora"

Posted: Updated:

By: Kayla Bremer
kbremer@klkntv.com

It's been a hot topic and now close to 400 people are sickened with Cyclospora in 15 states.

Nebraska and Iowa officials traced it to pre–packaged salad mix.

We spoke with ABC's Dr. Richard Besser about the illness:

Obviously this outbreak is causing a lot of problems for a lot of people across the country and 79 cases here in Nebraska, do you want to talk or start off with talking about what the Cyclospora infections are and how people contract them?

Yeah you know Nebraska is definitely one of the harder hit states.  Cyclospora is a very unusual cause of food poisoning.  It's a parasite that lives in the tropics and subtropics so all the outbreaks have been from imported produce.  What happens is when you ingest this, it takes about a week before it makes you sick but then the symptoms, the stomach distress can last for more than a month if you're not diagnosed and treated properly.

So I guess people are probably thinking twice about going out and buying that pre washed bagged salad mix.  What is your message to them about that?

Yeah I mean the good news is that product is off the market. You know I buy pre washed lettuce and salad mix all the time.  It's a safe product.  When you're selecting it, you want to get one that's in the back of the case where it's nice and cold.  You want look at the expiration date and pick one that's far from that expiration date.  If there's any damaged leaves in there you want to throw those away and then you want to use it quickly.  You know you only want to keep it around for a couple days then you want to get rid of it because the longer it stays around, the more time bacteria have to multiply and with all types of germs, it's the number that you take in that increases your chance of getting sick.  Just a few germs and your body can usually handle it.

But in this current outbreak, the people who got sick ate the contaminated product in late June to early July.  If you've had symptoms since then you want to let your doctor know about this outbreak so the right testing can be done.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lincoln man makes Auburn teenagers prom night special

    Lincoln man makes Auburn teenagers prom night special

    Posted By: Bayley Bischof Channel 8 Eyewitness News Auburn high schoolers Abbey Clark and Damien Johnson have always been a good team. "She's kind of awesome and she's my best friend," Johnson said of Abbey. "They complement each other really well," their teacher Mandi Noel said. "Damien's super social and Abbey is fiercely independent." They went to prom last year, so when Johnson asked Clark again, she said it was a no brainer to say yes. &...More >>
    Posted By: Bayley Bischof Channel 8 Eyewitness News Auburn high schoolers Abbey Clark and Damien Johnson have always been a good team. "She's kind of awesome and she's my best friend," Johnson said of Abbey. "They complement each other really well," their teacher Mandi Noel said. "Damien's super social and Abbey is fiercely independent." They went to prom last year, so when Johnson asked Clark again, she said it was a no brainer to say yes. &...More >>
  • Lincoln Northeast High bus involved in morning rollover

    Lincoln Northeast High bus involved in morning rollover

    Lincoln Northeast High bus involved in morning rollover

    Several crews are responding to a rollover accident involving a car and a bus near the intersection of 134th and Holdrege Thursday. 

    More >>

    Several crews are responding to a rollover accident involving a car and a bus near the intersection of 134th and Holdrege Thursday. 

    More >>
  • Child of Utah family with TV show dies after house fire

    Child of Utah family with TV show dies after house fire

    Thursday, April 19 2018 4:14 PM EDT2018-04-19 20:14:10 GMT
    Police say a 2-year-old boy whose polygamous family is featured on a reality TV show has died following a fire in a southeastern Utah home.More >>
    Police say a 2-year-old boy whose polygamous family is featured on a reality TV show has died following a fire in a southeastern Utah home.More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.