Daycare evacuated due to possible gas leak - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

UPDATE: Daycare evacuated due to possible gas leak

Posted: Updated:

By: Lauren Fabrizi
lfabrizi@klkntv.com

Young Voices Child Development Center near 80th and O was evacuated Thursday afternoon after staff smelled a strange odor in the building.

Both Lincoln Fire and Rescue and Black Hills Energy arrived at the scene. Officials said around 50 children and 10 adults were evacuated from the building.

According to officials, the fumes came from glue on a new hot water heater. No one was injured or experienced any sort of symptoms.

"We notified all the parents to let them know their children were safe, and if they wanted to come get them that they could," Director Liberti Owens said.

"Naturally, we're exercising a lot of caution with the business of the daycare facility," LFR Cpt. Scott Wiebe said. "But we don't believe there to be any threat to any of the occupants that were inside the structure."

Workers were given the okay to head back into the daycare center around 2 p.m. Daycare staff said they will be open as usual.

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • Car crash sends four to hospital

    Car crash sends four to hospital

    Car crash sends four to hospital

    Multiple rescue crews were called to a two-vehicle accident that sent four people to the hospital.More >>
    Multiple rescue crews were called to a two-vehicle accident that sent four people to the hospital.More >>
  • Free Easter meal draws hundreds

    Free Easter meal draws hundreds

    Free Easter meal draws hundreds

    The 31st annual daVinci's Easter meal drew hundreds of people from across the community.More >>
    The 31st annual daVinci's Easter meal drew hundreds of people from across the community.More >>
  • 9-year-old dead after being run over by construction machine

    9-year-old dead after being run over by construction machine

    9-year-old dead after being run over by construction machine

    A 9-year-old Ashland boy is dead after being accidentally run over by a Bobcat construction machine.More >>
    A 9-year-old Ashland boy is dead after being accidentally run over by a Bobcat construction machine.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.