By: Kayla Bremer
A small group of UNL fraternity members are asked to temporarily move out after an arson investigation turns up numerous fire code violations.
The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity is a brand new building on campus, but fire inspectors say right now, it's unlivable.
"As we do code enforcement, the fire code violations are at a point where they are severe violations and we just won't allow people to live in a house until they're corrected," Fire Investigator Chuck Schweitzer said.
Fire investigators were called to the fraternity house after a roll of paper towels were intentionally set on fire on the second floor. Members of the house were able to put the fire out before it caused significant damage.
Schweitzer says they inspect all Greek houses on UNL's campus before students move in each year.
"This place has been inspected just recently and then the violations occurred after the inspection."
Officials say the fire is arson and whoever is responsible is facing a serious crime.
"It's a felony. It's first degree arson."
You may remember back in November of 2006, a fire broke out at a Nebraska Wesleyan fraternity, killing one and critically injuring three.
Thankfully in this case, no one was injured and it was quickly put out.
University officials say eight members were home at the time of the fire. They have all found temporary housing until they're able to move back into the house.
The arson is still under investigation.
Fire officials say members of the fraternity should be able to move back in within a couple days if all violations are corrected and re inspected.
Posted By: Morning Newsroom
A group of UNL fraternity members are forced to vacate their house after an arson investigation turns up numerous fire code violations.
It started around 1:30 Wednesday morning at the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house on the UNL campus. Officials said crews showed up to the house to find a roll of paper towels had been set on fire. The fraternity members were able to put the fire out before it caused injuries or damage. Officials are calling the incident arson. They're not sure who started the fire. The arson investigation continues.
The city fire inspector said he found several severe fire code violations while investigating the fraternity house. "Quite a few fire code violations within the house. So, it makes it non-livable. We've asked the members to not live here till we get the fire code problems corrected," fire investigator Chuck Schweitzer said.
Investigator Schweitzer said they do inspect all of the Greek houses on the UNL campus before students move in for the year. He said the fire code violations at this fraternity house happened after the inspection.
Investigator Schweitzer said the fraternity members will be able to move back in once the violations are fixed. He expects it will be in a day or two.