Firefighters respond to two garage fires - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE;

Firefighters respond to two garage fires

Posted: Updated:

By: Hannah Paczkowski

Larry Holle was fast asleep when he woke up to a popping sound.

"5 o'clock it sounded like I heard some fireworks going off, didn't think nothing of it and it's happened before," he said.

It wasn't until he looked out his window that he learned this wasn't just a firecracker.

"I looked out and there were flames coming up out of the garage door. Looked like the flames were kind of shooting up on the side of the garage," Holle said.

Investigators said a cigarette is to blame for the fire that started in the garage and spread to the house. As the flames spread, they lit off some fireworks in their path.

Firefighters had to climb the roof to put out the blaze.

"That much fire showing on our arrival, we have to be concerned about the structural integrity of the roof, so they've got to sound the roof as they go," Battalion chief Jeanne Pashalek said.

The house is considered a total loss with damage estimates around $150-thousand.

Then this afternoon across town, another garage near 23rd and P Streets caught fire.

Investigators said this one was started by something left on a stove in the garage. Total loss is estimate to about $20-thousand.

"If you're going to cook you need to stay in the kitchen, you need to attend it, if you leave the room set a timer, shut off the burners," Pashalek said.

 No one was hurt in either of these fires.

It is Fire Prevention Week and the main theme is kitchen safety. Firefighters can't stress enough to practice an escape plan in your home just in case.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.