Landlords get fire safety training - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

Landlords get fire safety training

Posted: Updated:

Posted By: Camila Orti
corti@klkntv.com

As part of Fire Prevention Week, landlords got training in fire safety Thursday.

About 20 landlords attended a session put on by the Lancaster County Health Department to get information on fires and steps to prevent them. On the agenda was everything from choosing and installing fire detectors to renter's insurance.

Landlord Greg Baker says he attended the workshop in the interest of his tenants and his own family.

"It's your tenants, you want to keep them safe and they may not necessarily have dealt with something like I have," Baker said.

Baker had a fire scare two years ago at his home, a close call thanks to a newly installed fire detector.

"It's scary how fast it happens, so having the detector was imperative and having a fire extinguisher because I used both of them, you need both," Baker said.

These are the kinds of things speakers at the 'Fire Safe Landlord Training' say they wanted to drive home to their audience, information that can help save buildings and lives.

"Fire is devastating, it not only affects the family but the community as well, so fire safety is something you have to be constantly aware of, and just don't let your guard down," Fire Inspector Rick Campos said.

Thursday's session was held at Paul Davis Restoration Inc.

Organizers say this is the first year the program has been offered, but Campos hopes for many more.

"We are reaching out to a lot of people, and we're hoping that it can put me out of a job, that's the goal here," Campos said.

Fire detectors were a big talking point. Officials say more than 80 percent of fire deaths happen in homes with a broken alarm or none at all.

Campos says he hopes the information shared inspires landlords to spread the word and try to keep their community fire free.

The next workshop will be sometime in Spring of 2014. To sign up, go to lincoln.ne.gov and keyword search 'smoke detector.'

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • UPDATE: Officials identify 9-year-old accidentally killed in Ashland

    UPDATE: Officials identify 9-year-old accidentally killed in Ashland

    UPDATE: Officials identify 9-year-old accidentally killed in Ashland

    Officials says 9-year-old Grant Johnson died of his injuries after being accidentally run over by a Bobcat construction machine Saturday.More >>
    Officials says 9-year-old Grant Johnson died of his injuries after being accidentally run over by a Bobcat construction machine Saturday. More >>
  • Free Easter meal draws hundreds

    Free Easter meal draws hundreds

    Free Easter meal draws hundreds

    The 31st annual daVinci's Easter meal drew hundreds of people from across the community.More >>
    The 31st annual daVinci's Easter meal drew hundreds of people from across the community.More >>
  • Car crash sends four to hospital

    Car crash sends four to hospital

    Car crash sends four to hospital

    Multiple rescue crews were called to a two-vehicle accident that sent four people to the hospital.More >>
    Multiple rescue crews were called to a two-vehicle accident that sent four people to the hospital.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.