Posted By: Camila Orti
A MAD DADS volunteer used to giving back is now on the other side of things after his family lost everything in an apartment fire.
It happened in September. A devastating fire left Ken Borene's apartment charred and ruined, and left Borene and his family with nothing.
"You'll be sitting there cooking and you don't even have a strainer or something like that, something so simple, you don't have an extra toothbrush," Borene said.
MAD DADS, where Borene says he volunteers more than 60 hours per week, held a benefit Saturday to raise money for his family.
"Ken's part of our family so this is how we want to support him," MAD DADS president Rev. Donald Coleman said.
Borene says about 100 people showed up to eat and bid on silent auction items like basketball tickets and a bike, raising about $1,000.
"It surprised me that people will come out and help," Borene said.
And after losing everything, Borene says anything helps.
Fire investigators say the September 13th blaze started on the second floor of the complex, located near 48th and Colfax streets, after a child lit a blanket on fire.
They say total damage to the building is about $250,000.
"It's emotional driving by there every day, you look at it and you're like, wow, everything's there, gone," Borene said.
If you are interested in helping Borene's family, there is a fund set up at First State Bank under MAD DADS for Ken Borene.