By: Lauren Fabrizi
A fire that took out an entire home in Firth Thursday has left a family devastated.
Deborah Wedding returned home after work Thursday, like she does everyday. She said she took a quick nap, and the next thing she knew...
"My dog jumped on me, which is very unusual," Wedding said. "Usually he'll jump on my bed and lay down next to me, and he jumped on me and woke me up and the house was full of smoke."
Wedding said she knew she had to get out, and fast. She said if it wasn't for her dog warning her about the fire, she doesn't think she would be alive today.
Fire crews from five different stations in and around Firth were called to knock down the blaze. Wedding said they worked through the night and into the next morning. Family members watched as more and more flames took over the home.
Very little remains, but Wedding's mother said she's just lucky to have her daughter.
"It's hard, but things are things," Sandra Wedding said. "And people are always more important."
Fire officials believe an electrical wire in the back wall of the house started it all.
The home has been in Wedding's family since the 1870s. It's the home where Wedding's mother grew up, and where she and her seven other siblings grew up.
Before the fire, Wedding was living there with her beagle, Cappy.
Wedding said it's so hard to let go of a big piece of family history. But she said the memories the family has shared there will last a lifetime. Wedding was able to salvage some family photos, which she said brings those memories to life again.
"Little blessings that you find that keep you going," Wedding said.
For now, Wedding is living with her parents, and of course, Cappy, until she finds a new home.