Posted By: KLKN Newsroom
Five members of Sigma Nu fraternity received citations by UNL Police. The citations are the result of the investigation stemming from the January 19 fire alarm call to the fraternity.
UNL Police say investigators examined all aspects of what led up to the fire alarm being triggered, resulting in authorities being summoned to the Sigma Nu house. They say there were multiple city fire code violations, including several smoke detector violations, blocked exits, faulty entrances and exits, intentional covering of smoke heads, and improper discharging of fire extinguishers. Other criminal violations are connected to the intentional damage to the building.
According to the investigation, the house was intentionally put into disarray by dumping trash (including wet leaves, broken bottles, cans, paper products, and broken furniture which impeded access/egress from the building) in the common areas of the house and hallways of the living area floors, pouring detergent and other household cleaners on the floor throughout the house, and intentionally discharging fire extinguishers within the house. It was learned through interviews that this was done with the intent to require the fraternity's pledges to spend initiation week cleaning up the mess.
Police say, at this time, these activities do not appear to meet the elements under the state statute of hazing. The university and the fraternity may pursue further sanctions against the local chapter for such conduct.
The following individuals were cited:
- Ryan K. Anderson, age 39 – Sigma Nu Building Associations Board of Directors President was cited for 62 counts of city fire code violations
- Coleman J. Lay, age 19 – Sigma Nu member, House President was cited for 62 counts of city fire code violations
- Kyle I. Regen, age 19 – Sigma Nu member, House Manager was cited for 62 counts of city fire code violations and Inmate of Disorderly House
- Matthew R. Slingwine, age 22 – Sigma Nu member, was cited for Inmate of Disorderly House
- Brett J. Willms, age 20 – Sigma Nu member, was cited for Inmate of Disorderly House
UNL Police say the investigation is continuing, and no other charges or citations are expected at this time.