Two cats die in apartment fire - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

Two cats die in apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

By: Hannah Paczkowski
hpaczkowski@klkntv.com

The Patrick family was watching TV Tuesday night when they heard a fire alarm blaring.

"We opened the door and you could just see smoke," Judith Patrick said.

Investigators ticketed one of the young adults in the house for careless smoking. The blaze started in a second floor bedroom of the apartment building.

"It appears that crews making a fast attack were able to hold the fire to the room of origin, allowing all of the occupants to get out," LFR Battalion Chief Leo Benes said.

No one was hurt except two of the family's cats who died of smoke inhalation.

"It's heartening, it really is, my children are devastated, me and my husband are at a loss for words," Patrick said.

Wednesday, the Patrick family went back to their apartment only to find heavy smoke damage and scraps of a few of their belongings. It was a heartbreaking sight for the family.

"We got to see all of our belongings destroyed, we're actually witnessing the aftermath of just how much damage that this has caused and it's horrible," Patrick said.

In this time of tragedy for the family, Patrick said she still has hope they can move back in to their apartment.

"This is our home and we like it here and even if it takes them two to three months, we'll be back when it's done," she said.

The family was still able to save two of their other cats and they've all been relocated by the Red Cross.

Investigators said damage was about $30,000.

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • Denton church hosts egg hunt for Mission kids

    Denton church hosts egg hunt for Mission kids

    Denton church hosts egg hunt for Mission kids

    More than 20 Mission families participated in egg-cellent activies.More >>
    More than 20 Mission families participated in egg-cellent activies.More >>
  • Political ad sparks controversy

    Political ad sparks controversy

    By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comOMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ Nebraska Democrats are calling for a Republican candidate for governor to pull a televised campaign ad in which he knocks a Barack Obama doll off a fence post while criticizing the president's health care law. The ad, which began airing this week, shows Omaha state Sen. Beau McCoy standing next to the fence post with the bobblehead-like doll atop the fence post. McCoy says the health care law is ``the last thing we need,'' before slapping t...More >>
    By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comOMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ Nebraska Democrats are calling for a Republican candidate for governor to pull a televised campaign ad in which he knocks a Barack Obama doll off a fence post while criticizing the president's health care law. The ad, which began airing this week, shows Omaha state Sen. Beau McCoy standing next to the fence post with the bobblehead-like doll atop the fence post. McCoy says the health care law is ``the last thing we need,'' before slapping t...More >>
  • Arson causes $2,500 in damage

    Arson causes $2,500 in damage

    Arson causes $2,500 in damage

    Posted By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comLincoln fire investigators say an intentional blaze was lit just before 10 p.m. Friday. Inspector Ken Hilger says an individual poured an accelerant on the north side of ahome near 9th and South streets and lit it on fire. The homeowner was inside at the time but was able to get out safely. Lincoln Police officials say she was able to putthe fire out herself.Officials estimate the fire caused around $2,500 in damage, melting a section of vinyl siding o...More >>
    Posted By: Channel 8 Newsroom8@klkntv.comLincoln fire investigators say an intentional blaze was lit just before 10 p.m. Friday. Inspector Ken Hilger says an individual poured an accelerant on the north side of ahome near 9th and South streets and lit it on fire. The homeowner was inside at the time but was able to get out safely. Lincoln Police officials say she was able to putthe fire out herself.Officials estimate the fire caused around $2,500 in damage, melting a section of vinyl siding o...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.