UPDATE: LFR believes grass fire was caused by cigarette - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

UPDATE: LFR believes grass fire was caused by cigarette

Posted: Updated:

By: Channel 8 Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

It was a close call for several commercial buildings on Saturday as a large grass fire quickly spread along West A Street.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue fire inspector, Donald Gross, says he believes the fire was started by a discarded cigarette.

One of those building in danger was White Castle Roofing. While the business itself was not damaged, the company's stock pile was.

A worker says their fence, various materials and several trucks and trailers were hit, totaling about $100 thousand in damage.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Saturday fires: 

Fire crews spent part of their weekend battling wind-swept grass fires in eastern Nebraska.

Firefighters responded to several blazes on Saturday in Cass and Sarpy counties. One fire was caused when a Cass County landowner burned brush on his property.

Plattsmouth Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Bill Dudek says the fire spread quickly through the tall grass, and accessing it was a challenge. Dudek says the crews at one point had three fires burning simultaneously.

Sarpy County crews also battled a brush fire near Bellevue earlier Saturday. Crews say the fierce wind on Saturday made it difficult to contain.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.