Fire destroys mobile home in north Lincoln - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

Fire destroys mobile home in north Lincoln

Posted: Updated:

By: Lauren Fabrizi
lfabrizi@klkntv.com

People living at Skyview Trailer Court near N. 48th and Y Streets were woken up Wednesday morning to the sound of sirens and thick flames of smoke nearby.

"I heard a pop," Pam Abben said. "Looked out my porch and saw no. 7 was on fire."

Crews spent the morning knocking down a fire at one of the trailers.

"I would venture to say by looking at it, it's probably a total loss," Battalion Chief Jeanne Pashalek of Lincoln Fire & Rescue said.

Neighbors said a couple in their late 50s to early 60s lived there. They said the two, John and Jean, take care of their 13–year–old grandson, who was already at school, and their Australian Shepherd, Spot.

"I prayed to God to be honest," Abben, who has known the couple for eight years, said.

According to fire officials, by the time crews arrived, the couple and Spot had already evacuated.

Neighbors said John was taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation and possibly 1st or 2nd degree burns.

The Red Cross was on hand helping out. Neighbors said they'll do anything they can, too. One woman has already taken Spot into her home.

Members of the close–knit community said they're thankful John and Jean are okay.

"Everybody pretty much knows everybody, it's like a small town in here," Abben said. "And so we do take care of each other."

Inspector Rick Campos of LFR believes the cause of is most likely electrical. He estimates about $6,000 in damage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By: Channel 8 Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

A morning fire in north Lincoln sent one man to the hospital. Fire officials at the scene near N. 48th and Y Streets say heavy smoke could be seen from 48th & O Streets.

It happened just after 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Skyview Homes at 1030 N. 48th St. Neighbors tells us three people and a dog live in the mobile home. They say a man was taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation.

The home is a total loss.

Channel 8's Lauren Fabrizi will have more on this tonight at 5 & 6.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLKN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.