Are You Addicted? Parallels Can Help You.
Are You Addicted?
Signs and Symptoms your indulgence could be a problem:
- Preoccupation with the substance or pastime
- Loss of Control, unable to stop, walk away or stay away
- Moodiness: Dependency on anything often causes mood-altering side effects when the addicted user is separated from the addictive substance or activity.
- Dishonesty in regard to use
- Failed attempts to control the use or behavior
- Loss of Boundaries or inhibitions
- Psychological changes (especially if addiction is to a substance such as glassy eyes, eye changes or nasal congestion)
- Loss of a significant relationship, problems at work or school, less time to devote to things you enjoy such as hobbies, all due to the use of the substance or behavior.
- Absenteeism or school truancy
- Decreased ability to cope
- Continuing to use the substance or engage in the behavior even though you know it is damaging for you and you life.
Sources: The National Center on Addictions and Drug Abuse at Columbia University, web4health.com, Suicide and Mental Health Association International, addictions.