Celebrate the 4th at the Uncle Sam Jam
PUBLIC INVITED TO “UNCLE SAM JAM 2010”
Mayor Chris Beutler today invited area residents to the City's annual Uncle Sam Jam Fourth of July celebration at Oak Lake Park Sunday, July 4. A full day of events is planned, including a Lincoln Saltdogs baseball game at 6:05 p.m. at Haymarket Park vs. the Pensacola Pelicans. The fireworks show will begin promptly at 10 p.m.
Pepsi-Cola is the sponsor for the fireworks, presented again by Zambelli Internationale. A soundtrack will be furnished by Broadcast House/NRG Media and broadcast on all four of its radio stations (B107.3 FM, Froggy 98.1 FM, 105.3 Wow FM and KLIN 1400 AM). The Lincoln Journal Star also is a partner in the celebration.
The City Parks and Recreation Department will provide free family activities and kids games from 1 to 8 p.m. Among the attractions will be an inflatable slide, obstacle course and bounce house. The Ashanti Band will perform from 6 to 9 p.m., and VFW Post 3606 will conduct a flag-lowering ceremony at 8:30 p.m.
“I want to thank our sponsors for helping us provide such a fun, family-oriented celebration for the entire Lincoln area to enjoy,” said Mayor Beutler. “The activities and games were very popular last year, and we know families will really enjoy them. We also look forward to a great performance from the popular Lincoln band Ashanti. One of the area's best fireworks shows is a great way to cap off a patriotic celebration.”
The Lincoln Saltdogs have a weekend home series against the Pensacola Pelicans at Haymarket Park. Games Friday, July 2 and Saturday, July 3 begin at 7:05 p.m. and include post-game fireworks displays. The game Sunday, July 4 begins at 6:05 p.m. More information is available at www.saltdogs.com.
The Haymarket Garage at 9th and “Q” streets and the Que Place Garage at 11th and “Q” streets are offering a special $3 event fee beginning at 4 p.m. Sunday, July 4. Handi-Van service is available for eligible individuals, and reservations can be made through the normal procedure by calling StarTran at 441-7109.
StarTran will provide free public shuttle bus service from 5 to 11 p.m. between the main entrance at Oak Lake Park and these locations:
- Haymarket Parking Garage, 9th and “Q”
- Gold's bus stop, 11th and “O”
- County-City building complex – northeast corner of 9th and “H” and southeast corner of 9th and “K” (free parking in City lot bounded by 9th, 10th, “H” and “G” streets)
- State Fairgrounds lot #9 (west of Devaney, enter off of Court Street between 14th and 15th)
- State Fairgrounds lot #6 (west of Devaney, enter off of North Antelope Valley Parkway just north of Military Road)
In case of inclement weather, the radio broadcasts and the fireworks display will be rescheduled to Monday, July 5. No other events will be rescheduled. More information on the day's events is available on the City website at lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: uncle sam jam).
UNCLE SAM JAM 2010 Sunday, July 4, Oak Lake Park, 1st and Charleston
Schedule of Events
Food and concessions will be available beginning at 1 p.m. in the main parking lot. The Red Cross will have first aid available.
- 1 to 8 p.m. – Family activities and kids games. City-sponsored activities include canoeing, disk golf, volleyball, bocce ball, croquet, horseshoes, carnival games, inflatable bounce and climbers, bingo, drum circles, three-legged and gunnysack races, tire throwing contest, water balloon toss and Simon Says.
- 6 p.m. – The Ashanti Band performs (AshantiAfricanRoots.com)
- 8:30 p.m. – Flag-lowering ceremony conducted by VFW Post 3606
- 10 p.m. – Fireworks display by Zambelli Internationale (Sponsored by Pepsi-Cola); fireworks soundtrack broadcast live on B107.3 FM, Froggy 98.1 FM, 105.3 Wow FM and KLIN 1400 AM.
Fireworks other than those used in the Zambelli show are prohibited in the park.
- Alcohol is prohibited in the park.
All pets are required to wear a leash in the park. Residents are discouraged from bringing pets to the park during the fireworks display.