Cigarettes cause two fires in 3 days

By:  Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

Lincoln fire investigators say Sunday's downtown fire and this morning's apartment fire was caused by cigarettes.

Sunday's fire on the roof of the Centerstone Building in downtown Lincoln caused $5,000-$10,000 damage.  Several fire stations responded to the alarm because the building has ten floors above ground.  Water in a standpipe system helped firefighters gain control within 20 minutes.

Early Tuesday morning, firefighters responded to an apartment deck fire on Carnelian Street, that's near 27th and Highway 2.  Another tenant noticed the fire and called 911.  A woman and her daughter are now without a home.  Damage was contained to their apartment.  Fire officials say damage is estimated at $5,000.