Collins Calls It Quits

Lincoln–Although the University of Nebraska has made no official announcement, Thunder Collins has left the Nebraska football team.  In an exclusive interview with Channel 8 on Wednesday night, the senior I-back from California said “…my family needs me more than football … I love football and I really don't want to give it up, but family's first.”

     In an official statement released to Channel 8, Collins said “My decision to leave the football team is in now way related to football.  Most Husker fans don't know that I am responsible for taking care of my 17 year-old brother that lives with me here in Lincoln.  Together, the two of us have been living on my scholarship checks of $404 (per month). Because of my situation with the NCAA (4 game suspension for failing to comply with NCAA guidelines), my scholarship checks have been reduced to $199.03 per month for the remainder of my collegiate career.”

    Following Wednesday's practice, NU head coach Frank Solich told reporters that Collins had missed the teams three practices this week and that all attempts to contact or locate Collins had been unsuccessful.  “It's been not a real satisfying season for Thunder for a lot of reasons,” said Solich.  “You know certainly the suspension was something that he did overcome, got back on the field but did not have a lot of things go his way, did not get a great number of opportunities once he did come back.  Whether that all has entered into the fact that he is not here, I'm uncertain.  What I am certain about is that he is not here and it appears that he has quit the team.”