CRP acres now available for emergency haying, grazing

Posted By: Sarah Fili

Drought has led officials to allow emergency haying and grazing on conservation land in four south-central Nebraska counties.

The Nebraska Farm Service Agency announced the emergency use on Thursday for Adams, Franklin, Kearney and Webster counties. CRP haying in those counties is now allowed until Aug. 31, and grazing on that protected land is allowed through Sept. 30.

Those enrolled in the federal conservation program agree to not to farm environmentally sensitive land in exchange for a yearly rental payment. The emergency haying and grazing is allowed only under certain circumstances, such as when drought drastically cuts into the local livestock feed supply.

Producers who want to hay or graze CRP acres must first get approval from their local FSA office.