UPDATE: Cigarette to blame for fire at Vincenzo’s

Photo Courtesy: Steve Andel

Posted By:  Sabrina Ahmed

The fire started in the back of the restaurant, right off the dock.

The owner of the building saw flames coming out the back at one point.  Lincoln Fire Inspector Chuck Schweitzer says a carelessly discarded cigarette caused the fire.  Damage is estimated at $20,000.

Firefighters were called to the fire Monday at around noon to save a Haymarket building more than a century old. 

“All things considered, very fortunate.  125 year old building, and we sure don't want anything to happen to it—it's the old Harper Brother's saddle and harness factory,” Jon Camp, the building's owner said.

And he says Vincenzo's, where the fire started in the back, has been in the building for almost 20 years.  With a fully restored facility, he was surprised when the fire started.

“We've come in and completely renovated—put in new electrical, plumbing, just retaining the historical ambiance.  that's another perplexion—what exactly caused this? Wanna find out,” Camp said.

“It could have been a lot worse—glad it happened at this time and not 1 o'clock in the morning or something like that,” Vincenzo's co-owner said.

It wasn't a huge fire, but given the cold temperatures, the fire chief called a second alarm to keep the firefighters safe.  

“If you get wet, you could get cold and get hypothermic and I want to make sure that my guys don't get hypothermic,” LFR Division Chief Roger Bonin said.

Vincenzo's was reopened for business by late Monday afternoon.