Fire causes $100,000 damage inside Lincoln home

A Lincoln family is left without a home while fire crews continue to clean up the wreckage.

The fire was extinguished quickly, but not before doing quite a bit of damage inside the house.

Paul Drexel says he’s still in shock over what he came home to Tuesday afternoon.

“We just got home from vacation yesterday, and this happens.  [It turned things] completely upside down, Drexel said.  “I’ll probably break down later.”

Drexel says he spotted smoke seeping out of his garage.  And when he tried to open the door to go inside his house, all he could see was smoke.

“It billowed out and I just turned around, ran out, and called 911,” he explained.

The fire was contained within 15 minutes of fire crews arriving on scene, but it left behind significant damage.

“There was a big hole in the 1st floor that we had to be really careful with because we had firefighters inside,” said Acting Battalion Chief Scott Bastin.  “They put out the fire and cut a ventilation hole to alleviate some of that smoke and pressure.”

Damage is estimated to be around $100,000.  Fortunately, no one was injured.

“We were all out of the house.  We have no pets at this time—so no loss of life.  It’s all just wood and equipment, it can be replaced,” Drexel said.

At this time, the house is not deemed “safe” for the Drexel family to live in—but neighbors have already stepped in, to make sure the family is taken care of right now.

“Neighbors have offered for us to come over to their house.  Everyone was over asking if we needed help, and that’s great.”

Drexel says they may have lost some priceless family heirlooms to the fire, but they won’t know until they get back into the house to take a closer look.