Fire damages apartment building near 11th & ‘E’ Streets

By: Ashley Harding
aharding@klkntv.com

More people are unable to go home after another apartment fire. This one broke out just before two o'clock Friday afternoon. This time two people had to be rescued and one person taken to the hospital. But the big difference is this one wasn't started by a cigarette. Officials say this one was started by a stove that had been left on.

We also hear these apartments had just been remodeled, and only a few had been occupied, that has turned out to be a blessing. It took three fire engines, two trucks, one ladder, and just a few minutes to put out this apartment fire in central Lincoln.

No doubt it's been a busy week for Lincoln Fire and Rescue, however, officials say this one was started by a stove that had been left on in a basement apartment.

“Flames like as tall as the mailbox shooting out of the window. I'm just glad that I was able to get out of the building go I would've been trapped in there,” top floor resident Brian Rodgers said.

Officials say out of the twelve units in the building, only four had been rented to tenants. They also tell us two people had to be rescued and one person was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, their injuries are said to be non-life threatening.

“The two people that were on the third floor, we did take down with the aerial because their normal means of exit was blocked because of the smoke. So of course it could've been a lot worse,” Jeanne Pashalek of LFR said.

We spoke with Karen Frank, she tells us the fire started in her apartment, she says she and her boyfriend had gone out for the day but had left a friend of theirs inside.  She says even though she's thankful she and her neighbors all made it out with their lives, it's still hard to believe.

“It's just shocking. Because he's lost everything and I've lost everything,” Frank said.

At this time, officials are still working to find out the dollar damage.  We also hear at least two of these units are unlivable, those residents will have to be put up for the night.