Fire damages firefighter’s home

Posted By: Channel 8 Eyewitness News

BAYARD, Neb. (AP)  Authorities say a fire has damaged the Bayard home of two firefighters.

The fire was discovered by the son of Ryan and Stephanie Dalbey around 10 a.m. Sunday as he arrived at the home on Main Street in Bayard.

Bayard Fire Chief Mike Harimon says the fire started on a couch in the basement. Overheated rechargeable batteries are suspected of touching off the blaze.

Harimon estimates the damage could total $50,000. No injuries have been reported.