Fire forces families from homes

By: Ashley Harding
aharding@klkntv.com

Several Lincoln residents aren't able to spend Thanksgiving at home after their apartment caught fire. Even though it took less than ten minutes to contain Sunday night's apartment fire at 8th and G, the damage was done. And now, as many as ten Lincoln residents are unable to spend Thanksgiving at home.

Channel 8 Eyewitness News caught up with Larry Lunderville, one of those forced to leave. “Getting what food we can get out of here. Clothing, utensils that we need to stay at a motel,” Lunderville said.

Investigators say they believe it was sparked by an over-heated fuse panel…causing fire and smoke to travel into the walls before extending to the ceiling.  

“I don't know if we'd want to move back in with the problems that have been happening,” Lunderville said.

Damages are estimated to be around $15,000 dollars, and according to investigators, numerous electrical repairs are in order and it could take up to three weeks before any of the residents can return home.

Even though they're spending Thanksgiving away from home, Larry Lunderville and his wife say they have plenty to be thankful for.

“We've got our creator. That's all that matters, well, we've got a place to sleep, stay warm. We're together and alive. That's the best thing,” Lunderville said.