UPDATE: Cats rescued from 2-alarm fire; candles to blame

Posted By:  KLKN Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

Lincoln firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire Friday morning at 1522 D St.  The fire was called in by a neighbor at around 10:30.  Lincoln Fire Investigator Ken Hilger says candles left unattended are to blame.  Damage is estimated at $30,000.

Fire officials say the fire was contained to one unit in the group of ground-level apartments.  No one was at home at the time of the fire.  However, firefighters rescued three cats from the blaze.  The cats were taken to a shelter and are expected to be okay.