Hastings shooting case closed to the public

Posted By: KLKN Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

HASTINGS, Neb. (AP) – Authorities have decided to close all hearings, seal court files and make no further public comments about the case against a 9-year-old boy accused of shooting his 4-year-old brother in Hastings.

The decisions were announced in a news release from the Adams County Attorney after a closed hearing on Tuesday in Adams County Juvenile Court. County Attorney Donna Fegler Daiss told Channel 8 Eyewitness News that there will be no further release of any information unless the Court orders it can be done. 

Last week a juvenile manslaughter charge was filed against the older boy. His name hasn’t been released.

Authorities say the boy fired a .22-caliber rifle bullet that struck the 4-year-old on April 18. The younger boy was pronounced dead later at a local hospital. Other family members were home when the shot was fired.

Authorities have said the rifle is owned by the boyfriend of the victim’s mother.