House fire in Northwest Lincoln

Posted By: KLKN Newsroom

A home in Northwest Lincoln in a neighborhood north of Adams and Cornhusker was hit hard by fire Sunday afternoon. Officials say they responded to the flames around 3:45, but shortly after they arrived–terrifying news.

"At the height of the fire I had someone come to the window of the command vehicle and indicate that we were missing a child so we had to do additional searches," said Battalion Chief Leo Benes. "Thankfully the child was found and not in the structure, so everyone was relieved."

Officials found out the child, an 11-year-old girl, was never in the house. The family says no matter the damage to the house, they’re glad their daughter is okay. LFR was called to the fire because of helpful neighbors who smelled the smoke and saw flames shooting out from the back patio.

"You could feel the heat from the street," said neighbor Karen Hughes. "On the east side you could see the siding just melting and coming down."

Hughes says she didn’t think the homeowner was inside, but flames were spreading to the neighbor’s homes on either side so she ran and knocked on their doors.

"If her garage went up the house was going too," Hughes said, gesturing to one neighbor’s home. "I could see the siding melting and no one was answering the door, but she finally came out."

LFR says they had to call in back-up because the houses were too close together.

" There was a possibility of fire spreading from the building of origin to neighboring homes, so we did have damage to both of those homes," Benes said.

There’s heavy heat and smoke damage throughout the structure. One firefighter was injured by the heat, but is going to be okay. No word yet on the cause of the fire, but officials say there could be as much as $100,000 in damage.

Crews responded to a house fire near Northwest 6th Street and Mormon Trail around 3:45 p.m. Sunday.

The fire started in the back of the house, but the cause is still under investigation.

Firefighters told Channel 8 Eyewitness News the blaze was so intense it melted the siding off of neighboring homes and garages.

Officials say damages to the house could reach up to $100,000.

Early scanner reports of an 11-year-old girl missing in the house turned out to be false. The girl was found safely outside the home.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

Channel 8 Eyewitness News reporters spoke with the girl and her mother.

We’ll have more details tonight at 5:30 and 10:00.