Lightning Safety

Tuesday night's storms proved to be very dangerous for an area teenager. A 15 year-old Council Bluffs, Iowa boy is in critical condition. He was indoors, using a computer when lightning hit his home.

Since many computers use phone lines to connect to the Internet, you're computer may be a risky spot. To avoid becoming a victim in your own home, electrical experts recommend unplugging phone lines from your computer during a lightning storm. Also, try using a wireless or cordless telephone instead of a phone that is directly connected to the wall.

Experts say it is extremely rare to be shocked by lightning while inside your home, but it never hurts to take precautions.