Lincoln Woman Injured in Apartment Fire

An elderly woman was taken to the hospital Monday night after her apartment on South 29th street went up in flames. A fire medic was driving by the area when he noticed flames coming from an apartment complex. He saw a woman walking from the apartment and called it in to the fire department. Minutes later firefighters were at the scene and it took them about fifteen minutes to get the fire under control. According to the deputy fire chief the fire was most likely started by a discarded cigarette. The woman was taken to Bryan LGH West.

Her dog was pronounced dead at the scene but animal control was called in and revived the animal. Overall damage is estimated at around 45-thousand dollars.