Natural gas leak forces several people from home

A natural gas leak in a South Lincoln neighborhood forces several residents out of their homes.  Emergency crews shutdown an entire block in the area near 56th and south street because gas levels were so high.

According to Lincoln Fire and Rescue, A Black Hills energy crew was working near 57th and Saylor just north of south street when they noticed a strong smell of natural gas.

Lincoln fire and rescue were called to check it out, and when they arrived,  they found explosive levels of natural gas.

Chief  Derald Murrell says the house where the leak was coming from was vacant.  No injuries were reported.  Murrell also says they are still investigating what caused the leak and why those levels were so high with no occupants.