NEB Softball: Huskers Host No. 12 Minnesota This Weekend
Posted by: Sports
Courtesy: NU Media Relations
The Nebraska softball team welcomes No. 12 Minnesota to Bowlin Stadium this weekend for a key three-game Big Ten Conference series.
Several streaks will be on the line when the Huskers, the defending Big Ten regular-season co-champions, take on the defending Big Ten Tournament champion Golden Gophers. The battle at Bowlin Stadium pits two of the conference’s top teams against each other.
Nebraska is 5-0 in league play, and the Huskers own the Big Ten’s longest conference win streak at eight consecutive victories dating back to 2014. Minnesota is 3-0 in conference action this season, and the Gophers have won five straight Big Ten games.
Minnesota has won 13 games in a row overall – a program record – while the Huskers have won five straight and nine of their last 10.
Nebraska hopes the home crowd will boost the Huskers against a Minnesota squad that is 12-0 on the road this season. To help fans cheer on their Huskers, several fan friendly promotions have been set up for this weekend.
Any fan with a baseball ticket can get into that day’s softball game for free. Additionally, Saturday is Pepsi Pack the House Day, where all general admission seating is $1 and select Pepsi products are available for only $1. General admission seating at Bowlin Stadium includes one section of plastic chairback seats.
NU has won its five Big Ten games by an average of five runs per game, while scoring double-digit runs in four of the five games. On Wednesday, Nebraska outscored Iowa 28-9 in a doubleheader sweep
This Week’s Top 10
- Nebraska has won eight straight Big Ten games, the longest winning streak in the conference. NU has won 20 of its last 21 Big Ten games overall.
- The Huskers have won 14 consecutive home conference games, the longest streak in the league. Nebraska’s last home Big Ten loss was over a year ago (March 23, 2014 to Minnesota).
- In its five Big Ten games, the Huskers have outscored their opponents 17-1 in the first inning.
- Nebraska has scored double-digit runs a school-record 14 times in only 29 games this season.
- NU is averaging 7.7 runs per game this season. The school record is 5.7 runs per game in 2014.
- The Huskers lead the Big Ten with a .358 team batting average. The NU record is .315 in 1995.
- Nebraska ranks in the top 10 nationally and leads the Big Ten with 17 double plays this season.
- Junior right-hander Emily Lockman has earned the win in four of Nebraska’s five conference victories. She has won 11 consecutive Big Ten games and has not lost a conference game in more than a year (March 23, 2014 vs. Minnesota).
- Sophomore third baseman MJ Knighten has produced 11 multi-hit efforts in her last 17 games.
- Senior Steph Pasquale has homered in four of Nebraska’s five Big Ten games.