NEB WRES: Huskers Visit Gophers on Friday Night
Posted By: Sports
Courtesy: UNL Media Relations
#5 Nebraska at #12 Minnesota
Friday, Jan. 20 • 7 p.m. (CT)
Minneapolis, Minn. • Sports Pavilion
Live Video Streaming: BTN Plus
Twitter Feed: @HuskerWrestling
The No. 5 Nebraska wrestling team (9-1, 3-1 Big Ten) hits the road for the first time this month when the Huskers face 12th-ranked Minnesota (4-1, 3-0 Big Ten) on Friday at 7 p.m. (CT). The dual, set for 7 p.m. (CT), will be streamed live on BTN Plus on BTN2Go with a subscription required to view the matches. Fans can also follow along on Twitter via @HuskerWrestling.
Last Time Out: The Huskers defeated a pair of ranked Big Ten opponents at the Devaney Center last weekend. NU downed No. 21 Wisconsin (28-11) on Friday and topped No. 13 Michigan (29-15) on Sunday during Tumble N Rumble.
Up Next: The Huskers continue their road stretch next weekend, when they face Purdue on Friday, Jan. 27 in West Lafayette, Ind., and Indiana on Sunday, Jan. 29 in Bloomington, Ind.
• Nebraska has outscored its 10 dual opponents by a combined score of 293-96.
• Nebraska has won 73 of 100 individual matches in dual competition.
• Six starters have surpassed the 20-win plateau, with Tim Lambert (125), Colton McCrystal (141) and Tyler Berger (157) tied for most wins among the starters with 22 apiece.
• Eric Montoya (133) is two wins away from his 20th of the season.
• Lambert (125) leads all starters in pins (5) this season.
• Dudley (184) leads all starters in technical falls (9) this season.
• Colton McCrystal (141) leads all starters in major decisions (7) this season.
• Aaron Studebaker (197) enters the weekend with a 14-match winning streak, longest among Husker starters, dating back to Nov. 18. He was 7-3 on the season before the streak started.
Dudley Dominating During Senior Campaign
• TJ Dudley (184) has a team-leading nine technical falls this season after entering his senior campaign with one career technical fall over three years.
• First 107 matches at Nebraska (first three seasons): Won one match by technical fall
• Last 22 matches at Nebraska (this season only): Won nine matches by technical fall
• Dudley has eight technical falls against Division I opponents this season, which ranks second in the nation.
Home Sweet Home for Dudley
• In his last 18 matches at home (dating back to 2014-15), TJ Dudley (184) is 16-2 at home.
• Last 15 matches at home: 11 of his 13 wins are by bonus points (six pins, four technical falls and one major decision)
• Dudley’s first three wins during the 18-match span were by decision
• His only losses came to #2 Bo Nickal (Penn State) in 2017 and #14 Willie Miklus (Missouri) in 2016
• TJ Dudley (102-27) became the 25th member of Nebraska’s 100-win club on Dec. 30.
• Eric Montoya (101-43) earned his 100th career victory on Jan. 8. He is 68-26 at Nebraska after going 33-17 as a freshman at Campbell University in 2012-13.
• Aaron Studebaker (100-31) became the 26th wrestler to win 100 career matches at Nebraska on Jan. 15.
• Studebaker accomplishing the milestone marked three consecutive weekends where Huskers earned their 100th career win.
• Tim Lambert (97-39) is three wins away from the 100th of his career.
Experienced Group Leading Huskers
• Nebraska returns two All-Americans from last season: TJ Dudley (2nd at 184) and Eric Montoya (5th at 133)
• Nebraska returns seven NCAA qualifiers from last season: Tim Lambert (125), Eric Montoya (133), Tyler Berger (157), Micah Barnes (174), TJ Dudley (184), Aaron Studebaker (197) and Collin Jensen (HWT)
• Nebraska’s senior class has combined for 15 NCAA appearances: TJ Dudley (3), Eric Montoya (3), Tim Lambert (3), Collin Jensen (3), Aaron Studebaker (2) and Micah Barnes (1)
Huskers Working Through Tough Schedule
• Nebraska will face seven opponents who finished in the top 20 at last year’s NCAA Championships: Penn State (1st), Ohio State (3rd), Iowa (5th), Michigan (9th), NC State (11th), Minnesota (17th) and Wyoming (18th)
Huskers Add Wrestlers for Next Season
• The Huskers announced the addition of three wrestlers for next season on Nov. 16.
• Jason Renteria – Oak Park, Ill. (Oak Park River Forest)
• Tucker Sjomeling – Delano, Minn. (Delano)
• Mikey Labriola – Bethlehem, Pa. (Bethlehem Catholic)
• The Huskers announced three additional wrestlers for next season on Jan. 9.
• Trevor Nichelson – Ashland, Neb. (Ashland-Greenwood)
• Andrew Nielsen – Plattsmouth, Neb. (Plattsmouth)
• Wyatt Wriedt – Eldridge, Iowa (North Scott)