Open house held for 14th and Cornhusker renovation plans
By: Lauren Fabrizi
North 14th Street and Cornhusker Highway has been the site of plenty of crashes over the past several years. Now, the city is evaluating four different ways to take care of the problem.
Gary Burow, long–time owner of the Tackroom Bar & Grill in Lincoln, said he's seen a number of accidents around that area.
“It's a high risk accident place, probably the worst in Lincoln right now,” Burow said.
City officials said right where traffic merges onto Cornhusker Highway is the problem. They said in the past five years, there's been 90 crashes.
An informational open house was held Thursday to introduce the four different plans being considered.
“Alternative A” would provide an acceleration lane on eastbound Cornhusker Hwy., beyond the current merge location.
“Alternative B” would have drivers go through a roundabout before getting onto Cornhusker Hwy.
“Alternative B” would have drivers stop at an intersection before getting onto Cornhusker Hwy.
“Alternative D” would do away with the eastbound on–ramp completely. Drivers would need to use other roads to go east on Cornhusker Hwy.
“I'm all in favor of the roundabout down there,” John Verzal, who travels N. 14th Street, said. “I know everyone complained about the one near 14th and Superior. But I think if you finally get knowledgeable of the roundabouts, I don't see why this wouldn't work.”
“The roundabout might get confusing to some people,” Burow said. “I think the other one is a simpler one I think would work just as well.”
City officials said 90 percent of the project will be paid through federal funding. The other 10 percent will come from city funds.
They said public input will be used to help make a decision.
“We just kind of throw them into a hopper,” project manager Craig Aldridge said. “We have to take all those and move forward with what we think is the best alternative based on all those factors.”
City officials expect to decide on an alternative in the next few months. They anticipate construction to begin in 2016.
If you'd like to weigh in, there will be a 30–day comment period. Contact Craig Aldridge at (402)416-5349 or firstname.lastname@example.org.