Propone tank starts fire at Skypark Apartments

By: Megan Palera

Part of a Lincoln high-rise apartment goes up in flames as a man tries to cook dinner.

It happened on the 11th floor of the Skypark Apartment building just west of the State Capitol. Morris Huelle said he was grilling chicken on the balcony. The next he knew, smoke was coming into his living room.

“So I quickly jumped up and ran out on the balcony and her I discovered that my grill was on fire. The propane tank was venting and caused terrific amount of flame,” Huelle said.

It took about 20 minutes to knock down the blaze. Fire investigators say it damaged two apartments. That total is about $25,000.