Officials in California say they have have requested an arrest warrant for a Husker football player. 

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office told Channel 8 Eyewitness News that Maurice Washington, who was one of the Huskers' top recruits in last year's class, faces child porn charges in relation to a video he allegedly sent an ex-girlfriend. 

The video allegedly shows the sexual assault of the woman, though officials said Washington did not take part in the alleged assault. 

An officer with the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said Monday afternoon that the agency had a warrant out for the arrest of Washington. 

A spokesman for the Santa Clara County District Attorney's office said Monday night that an arrest warrant had been requested, but said a judge had not signed off on it at that time. 

Washington's attorney, John Ball, released a statement to Channel 8 Eyewitness News on Monday afternoon. 

"This is a situation involving an inappropriate cell phone video," Ball said in the statement. "The allegations are that Mr. Washington sent that video to his high school girlfriend. Mr. Washington did not make the video, nor does he appear in the video. The incident is alleged to have taken place in California, several years ago." 

Ball said Washington will continue to be "fully cooperative" with authorities. 

"We are in contact with those authorities," his statement continued. "And are in the process of making arrangements to move forward and resolve this matter." 

Ball also said Washington has confidence in the justice system, and knows he can "rely on the fundamental constitutional rights of due process" and the "presumption of innocence." 

Ball would later release a statement Monday night, reassuring Washington had nothing to do with the video or the sexual assault. 

"The narrative put forth today is that Mr. Washington used a video as a weapon to re-victimize his former high school girlfriend," Ball said. "That is not true. Without a doubt, Mr. Washington had absolutely nothing to do with that sexual assault.

"The communications between these two young people are yet to be fully determined, and there are additional facts and circumstances that give context and perspective to this situation."

NU athletics released also released a statement Monday afternoon. 

“Last fall we were contacted by the Nebraska Attorney General’s office and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln police department and made aware that officials in California were interested in interviewing Maurice Washington about a prior incident," the statement said.

"Details were not shared and there was no additional follow up with the Nebraska Athletic Department. Recently, we were made aware that charges may be filed against Maurice in California. We have not had a chance to review the charges, and will continue to monitor this ongoing legal process.”

This is a developing story, we will continue to provide updates as they become available.