Tuesday Morning Fire Started by Cigarette

It was a scary morning Tuesday for one northeast Lincoln neighborhood when a fire ripped through a home on north Cotner. Fire investigators now know the fire was started by a cigarette that was accidentally dropped on the couch in the living room of the home. The couch ignited, and took most of the front part of the home with it.

Rachel Bate says she was driving back from a friend's house around 8 o'clock Tuesday morning when she noticed smoke pouring from the home on north Cotner. She happened to have a friend who lived next door, so she stopped there to call 911.

According to fire officials, the fire was extinguished within 13 minutes, but the damage was extensive. Luckily, no one was inside the home at the time, and even the family cat got out safely. But officials say the fire caused more than 75-thousand dollars in damage to the home, and the home has been deemed unsafe to live in until repairs can be made.

Fire officials tell Channel 8 Eyewitness News there is a lesson to be learned from this fire. They say the home had a smoke detector, and it was properly installed, but the batteries were dead.