Two New Cases Of H1N1 Confirmed In NE

Nebraska health officials have confirmed two new cases of swine flu, bringing the total number of cases here to three.

And, specimens from three more probable cases have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for confirmation, the state Department of Health and Human Services said. As of Sunday, tests for a total of eight specimens deemed probable cases were pending with the CDC.

“It's important that people be aware that H1N1 is in Nebraska and spreading,” the state's chief medical officer, Dr. Joann Schaefer, said Sunday. “Unfortunately, there is no immunity to this virus built up in the population and there is no vaccine, but so far, cases have been mild.

One of the new confirmed cases is a woman in her 50s from Sarpy County who had traveled to Mexico. Schaefer said Saturday that the woman had to be hospitalized, but has been released.

The other case is a 19-year-old man from Missouri, who will be counted as a case in that state. He is still hospitalized in Douglas County because of another medical condition. Health officials do not believe that case is travel related.

Nebraska has one other confirmed case, that of a California man in his 40s who sought treatment at Omaha's VA Medical Center last weekend, but has never been hospitalized and has been said to be doing well. That case is being counted as a California case by the CDC.

The three new probable cases are in children ages 5 to 18, according to the state. Two are from Madison County, and one is from Sarpy.

The state on Sunday was also testing eight samples at its own public health lab to rule out swine flu, also know as H1N1. Specimens testing as probable cases will be sent to the CDC for confirmation.

Early Sunday, the CDC updated its number of confirmed cases to 226 in 30 states. Later, four more states reported confirmed cases, and new illnesses elsewhere were added to the tally.