UPDATE: Inspectors determine cause of automotive shop fire

Posted By: KLKN Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

Lincoln Fire Inspector Don Gross says an automotive shop fire was caused by a wood-burning stove.

Fire and rescue crews were called to the shop located near W. O and S.W. 20th Streets around 9 p.m. There were reports of flames and smoke coming from the building. Officials say the fire was contained to the front end of the building and quickly knocked down. They say no one was inside at the time.

Inspector Gross says a wood-burning stove used for heat in the shop ignited a stack of wood and cardboard that was placed too close by. He estimates the fire caused $8,000-$10,000 in damage.

The shop is family-owned. A worker said a group was working and grilling out earlier that night. He said they left about 8 p.m. He headed back a short time later to pick up a phone his dad had forgotten. When he arrived he saw smoke and fire crews. He said no cars were in the garage.