Judge rules DACA can continue for now; Nebraska recipient says her life is in ‘limbo’
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – A federal judge says the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program will live another day, at least for now.
U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen ruled on Friday that DACA, which allows people who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children to stay here, can continue temporarily.
Last year, he declared the program illegal after Nebraska and eight other Republican-led states filed a lawsuit saying DACA harms them financially.
The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans sent the case back to Hanen after the Biden administration mad changes to the program. These revisions are set to go into effect at the end of the month.
Joseline Reyna, a Nebraska DACA recipient and business owner, said Congress should take the lead to help those like her, who live in a constant “limbo.”
“Everyday things that people do, DACA recipients need to take a step back and think: Should I take loans and purchase these cars?” she said.
According to the American Immigration Council, almost 3,000 active DACA recipients lived in Nebraska as of March 2020.
Reyna said DACA’s termination would greatly affect Nebraska, as many recipients are also essential workers.
Hanen ordered attorneys for the federal government to provide more information on the new DACA rule.
It is unclear when Hanen will give his final decision on the legality of DACA.
President Joe Biden’s new version of DACA is set to take effect Oct. 31.