Chick Named Big Ten Player of the Week
After leading the Huskers to a series victory at Iowa last weekend Cam Chick has been named Big Ten Baseball Player of the Week.
LINCOLN, Neb. (Nebraska Athletics/Big Ten Conference) – After leading the Huskers to a series victory at Iowa last weekend Cam Chick has been named Big Ten Baseball Player of the Week, announced by the league office on Wednesday morning.
Chick broke out of an early-season slump and feasted on Iowa pitching over the final two games of the series, going 4-8 with two home runs, two doubles and nine RBIs. Chick entered the weekend hitting .174 (4-for-23) with one extra-base hit and two RBIs on the season.
Chick’s two home runs came in Saturday’s win, as he hit a grand slam that highlighted a seven-run third and later hit a two-run shot in the sixth after Iowa had pulled to within 8-7. Nebraska went on to win the game, 10-8. The junior from Columbia, Mo., then had a double and three RBI’s in Sunday’s series-clinching 13-8 win.
Wednesday marked the first time Chick has been named Big Ten Player of the Week and he is the first Husker to earn the award since Joe Acker was tabbed last season.
- Delivered a 1.333 slugging percentage to help the Huskers take the Iowa series at Duane Banks Field for the first time since 2013
- Went 4-for-8 at the plate, with three runs scored, nine RBI, two doubles and two home runs
- Recorded three of the Huskers’ 13 hits on Saturday, including a grand slam to highlight a seven-run third and a two-run shot in the sixth
- Wins his first career Big Ten Player of the Week award
- Last Nebraska Big Ten Player of the Week: Joe Acker (March 10, 2020)