Gas leak causes evacuation at Lefler Middle School in Lincoln
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Lefler Middle School was evacuated Thursday due to a gas leak, Lincoln Public Schools says.
A contractor hit a gas line about 200 feet from the school, which is near 48th and C Streets, LPS Superintendent Paul Gausman said.
Classes were dismissed for the day, and students were taken to Holmes Elementary School.
LPS says that students will be allowed to leave with parent permission any time between now and the end of the school day.
Parents can call the school’s office at 402-436-1143 to allow them to walk home. Parents can also go to the school to pick up their children.
Due to the gas leak, there will be no after-school services. Classes will resume on Monday, according to Gausman.
“We appreciate your patience and understanding while we manage this unique event,” LPS said in a letter to Lefler families.
Update for Lefler families… we appreciate your patience and understanding as we work this unique event. https://t.co/KCfafK94RI pic.twitter.com/bv9qHAPcx8
— Lincoln Public Schools (@LPSorg) April 27, 2023