Governor Ricketts alerts public to be aware of flooding this season

State leaders gave extensive reports at the Capitol, sharing improvements and goals since the flooding last March.

State leaders gave extensive reports at the Capitol, sharing improvements and goals since the flooding last March.

“What we saw last year was the most widespread and costly natural disaster of the state’s history,” said Gov. Pete Ricketts.

This week marks a year since catastrophic flooding affected the state.
On Monday, Gov. Ricketts and state agency directors held an emergency meeting. He warns the public there could be potential flooding this year and to stay alert.
Ricketts says he proposed $50 million to pay for state infrastructure and $9.2 million to help affected counties.
He’s working with surrounding state governors to continue efforts on keeping the Missouri river managed.
The Nebraska National Guard says more than 400 soldiers served during last year’s flood, rescuing 112 people.

The Nebraska Department of Transportation director said at the height of flooding the state had over 3,300 miles of closure but within 30 days, 99 percent of any closed highways were reopened.

“With additional weather, we may have additional flooding we’ve got heavy rainstorms or something like that,” says Ricketts. “Groundwaters are still very high rivers are still very high there’s still a lot of precipitation that can fall over the mountains that’s coming down through Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota so were still at risk.”

The governor and state officials say they will release a long term plan later in the year

Categories: Nebraska News