Gregory Cody trial continues Wednesday, cross examination begins

Wednesday was day two of the Gregory Cody trial in Lancaster county district court.

On Tuesday, Cody’s accuser took the stand and testified for over 7 hours.

She described in detail a history of coercion, including sexual and physical abuse at the hands of Cody, a former Lincoln police officer.

Cody’s accuser claims the majority of the abuse took place while he was on active duty for the police department.

She said the two met on a call back in 2016 when she was deemed a risk to herself for suicidal behavior.

She says Cody helped her out, but wanted favors in return for his help.

He began messaging her on Facebook, wanting to meet up with her.

She says he coerced her into more than 50 sexual acts over a 1 and a half year period between August of 2016 and October of 2017.

New evidence was presented on Wednesday, including photographs taken by Nebraska state patrol investigators.

The photos show bruising on the woman’s stomach, wrist, hand and neck, which she says was caused by Cody.

A recorded cell phone conversation was also used as evidence.

In it, Cody can be heard apologizing for his actions, saying he messed up over and over.

At one point he says he couldn’t control his behavior due to the medication he was taking.

When the prosecution asked Cody’s accuser why she continued to see him, she said he had threatened her, and wouldn’t leave her alone, often showing up at her apartment unannounced.

She says she appeased Cody to keep him happy, she feared for her safety and didn’t think anyone would believe her story.

Wednesday afternoon was the cross examination, conducted by Cody’s attorney John Ball.

Ball painted a picture of two consenting adults who were in a sexual relationship.

He pointed to the accusers history of reckless behavior, which invited law enforcement into her life.

The courtroom was extremely tense during those afternoon hours, as Cody and his family looked on.

At the end of the two week trial, the jury will be asked whether what the woman described was first-degree sexual assault.

If convicted, Cody faces up to 50 years in prison.

Cody’s accuser is also seeking more than one million dollars in damages from the Lincoln police department in a civil lawsuit.

We will keep you updated on the latest developments in the trial.

Categories: Top Stories